It’s Day 20 for most of my eggs, Day 19 for the rest. They are expected to hatch on Day 21. I turned them for a final time on Wednesday/Thursday, and yesterday (Thursday) I filled the water trays in the incubator floor to boost the humidity, closed the lid, and I vow not to open it until some hatched chicks are ready to come out.
The wait is hard for me. I did not receive the virtue of patience at birth and I never bothered to cultivate it as an adult. I can’t stand to wait for something I want so badly. I just want these chicks to hatch out! I do know from prior experience that these last hours are to be savored, because after the chicks are hatched our household is going to rev up to high speed. I’m still setting up the brooder and the webcam (I hope to be able to stream the hatch). I started with one brooder box, then wondered if I needed something with higher sides, so that I can raise the heat lamp more easily as they get older.
In the meantime I’ve been working on my new knitting project. I’m making my first hat. My friend Kristin works at the yarn store and she assures me that I can successfully make this hat pattern and at the same time, I’ll experiment with a few cables too. Kristin has a lot of faith in me. I am an eager student, but I’m still a beginner when it comes to knitting. I’ll be working on this hat for a while. I usually rip out my work a few times and start over. I look at the whole project as a learning experience. If I’m going to spend so much time knitting something, I may as well learn to do it right, and do it as well as possible. Sometimes ripping out and starting over is just what you need to get there. Sometimes learning to correct mistakes as they’re made is the right step. Sometimes learning to live with your mistakes is the only answer. Luckily, I get to experience all of those things with every project!
The pattern is called Fortnight by Brooklyn Tweed, and I’m using Cascade Cloud in Ruby. It’s knit in the round and the first several rows are garter stitch. In the round, that means one row is knit, the next row is purled, and the pattern repeats. This way of knitting leaves a little seam that runs up the back of the hat. I wondered if there was a way to knit it and omit the seam. I ripped out my work and searched for a new way. I found a method on a website that called for shifting the stitches over so that the seam was staggered. I tried it, and I wasn’t happy with the result. It looked like my hat had a mistake in every row. So I ripped it all out and went back to the original pattern. The seam will be there, but after it’s blocked, it won’t be too noticeable.
Tomorrow I hope to have good news about the status of the hatch. So far I haven’t seen any rocking eggs or heard any peeps. I am doing my best to suppress my irrational thoughts that the chicks aren’t going to make it. Tomorrow and Sunday are the big days!